Sunday, August 21, 2011

Our Best Bites

Tonight I was inspired by my favorite cook book Our Best Bites to take a little extra time with my meal making and come up with something simple and delicious. My mom got me this cook book as a Mother's Day gift and I have made so many of the recipes already. All of them proving to be absolutely divine! All of these photos were taken by my iPhone, on purpose of course, and I think the pictures really speak for themselves. This was some yummy dinner!


If you would like to try this, well just make it then. The homemade meatballs have just the perfect combination of spices and herbs, making every bite as enjoyable as the last! Here is the recipe so you can make this at home for you and your family. I highly recommend it.


Italian Meatballs:
1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 lb. Sweet Italian sausage
1/4 c. dry bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. dehydrated onion
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. parsley
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt

Set oven to broil. Gently combine meatball ingredients in a medium bowl. Shape into balls, whatever size you like, and then place on a broiler pan or cookie sheet with a piece of aluminum foil to keep it from sticking. Broil for 7 to 10 minutes, then add to sauce.

Sauce
1 large onion, chopped
4-5 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
Olive oil
2 28-oz. cans crushed tomatoes
16 oz. tomato sauce
1-2 Tbsp. sugar (to taste)
2 tsp. basil
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of baking soda (to help neutralize the acid)

Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant. Add remaining sauce ingredients and combine well. Bring to a simmer and add meatballs. Simmer on low, uncovered, until desired consistency is reached–about 25-30 minutes for a sauce that’s of medium consistency.

Recipe can be found online as well at Our Best Bites website.

Enjoy and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Jayson, Kim, and Lotta Carlson said...

Made this last night, finally! It was delicious and definitely a do again. I'd never tried to makemeatballs before. It was way easier than I thought. Thanks so much for posting and sharing!